Wood carving dog figure
Here is what you will need to make the dog
- Sharp whittling knife
- 2″ x 1″ x 1″ block of wood
- Leather strop
Trace the outline
Here are the reference points starting from the bottom up:
- Bottom line is the top of the back legs.
- Two vertical lines in the middle is the body.
- Top vertical line is the bottom of the head.
- Single line in the middle of the head is the nose.
- lines at the top and sides are the top of the head and ears.
Cut out rough details
- Use a push cut on the top of the back legs and slice from the bottom of the head to the push cut on the bottom legs defining the sides.
- Start cutting out the outlines of the head and ears.
Define the head and body
Use a series of push cuts from the front and cut down with the grain from the top until you define the top of the muzzle as shown.
Then, slim out the body and neck of the dog to define the bottom of the head and neck.
Shape the face and front legs
The easiest way to start the face is to cut out the sides of the face by making a push cut from the front on each side of the face and coming back in at a 90 degree angle and removing the wood. This will define the ears and the muzzle at the same time.
Finaly you can make the nose. Cut off the front point to make a flat surface and make 2 press cuts in the middle of the muzzle front to make an X.
Shave off the bottom and sides of the X you made, leaving just the top triangle and forming the nose.
The legs can be made in any matter you want.
Add the tail
Feel free to add eyes and a mouth to your wood carving, but you don’t have to.